November 26, 2006

Weather and Media

For some of you die-hards, you're resting up after hitting the stores hard for the After Thanksgiving Day Sales. Without a TV or American cable, I forgot all about them until my sister mentioned something the other day. It's interesting to see how media impacts what we know and think about, especially during Christmas.

For me, weather also equals a season or holiday. The cooler weather here has given a little sense of fall, but it's far from the Wisconsin Christmas season. It's difficult to imagine that Christmas is less than a month away. There aren't reminders everywhere telling me that I have to buy this or that and that time is running out. The "commercialization" of Christmas exists here, there are very few places in the world that it doesn't, however it simply isn't a part of my life. But, I do miss some of the sights (Christmas lights and the first snow fall), sounds (Christmas music), and smells (Christmas trees and cookies) of the season. I'm looking forward to being home to celebrate with my family - see you in 24 days!

On a completely different note, I was sick again this weekend, for the 3rd time since I got here. It's like being a first year teacher all over again (Katie F. =) ). Hopefully, I'll start building up immunity.

No comments: