Happy Thanksgiving!

It was a debate for me whether I was going to do anything for Thanksgiving or not. It’s sometimes easier just to ignore the day, than to realize that I’m far from home and family on a day we’re usually together. However, yesterday I was in a creative mood and I set to work making festive decorations. 
Today my students and I shared American mac and cheese, cranberries, and chocolate cake and Jamaican callalou, rice, and beef. We sat down to a family style meal, something the boys rarely experience. Typically food is shared out on a plate and then passed to them through a serving window. They were unsure of the paper napkins and didn’t want to throw them away when we were done. After dinner we made a “Thank you God” book, colored turkeys, and played pin the tail feather on the turkey.
I was blessed today through their discovery and joy in new experiences. While I miss my family greatly, it is good to be able to provide a sense of family to children who so desperately need it.
There are new pictures on flickr. A lot of them are really cute!
3 comments:
I'm so proud of you for sharing some of our American culture with the boys and doing it in a fun, creative way! :) I'm sure efforts created memories that will not soon be forgotten! You are making an impact! Blessings on you! :)
*I'm sure YOUR efforts created memories that will not soon be forgotten!* :)
I'm so glad we were able to talk on Thanksgiving! :) You are truly a blessing and a friend that I'm so very thankful for! Love you!
Post a Comment