October 7, 2006

Soul Care

At least once a month, I have to leave Sunbeam for the weekend.
Friday mornings plan was of course complicated.
1) get payment voucher at Ministry of Labour
2) go to bank to pay for work permit, get voucher completed as receipt
3) return to Ministry of Labour to turn in voucher, get letter
4) go to Immigration Office, turn in letter
5) do whatever else they asked
6) hopefully get visa

I knew that the odds were against all of this happening before the offices close at 3pm. However, when I arrived at the Ministry of Labour, they were out of vouchers. This meant that there was nothing I could do, but come back later. =)

I planned to spend Friday night through Sunday with missionary friends at the United Theological College. Friday turned into a great day of rest and relaxation, as well as Saturday.

I've written a little before about Soul Care, but wanted to share more with you. In my new weekly dedication to it, I have found this quote to be especially true.

"(Soul Care) ... slows down the frenetic lifestyle to make time for the soul. (After,) ... we can reemerge into the world to passionately pursue our calling, as we love and support others on their paths."

We can gain much, but if we lose our souls in the process, what good is that gain?
Stephen W. Smith in Embracing Soul Care


How are you taking care of your soul? Are you taking are of you ... or only those around you? Where do you struggle with this idea? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitley need to work at establishing soul care as a more consistent part of my life. Good reminder Michelle!

Anonymous said...

The tough part is knowing when to say "no" in order to maintain that balance of doing exactly what God requires--no more and no less.