October 2, 2006

Discovery and Exploration

After a pretty rough last week and an even crazier day yesterday, I had a wonderfully blessed day today! I am really enjoying teaching. My boys desire to learn and are excited to share their new knowledge. Mr. Smith, our Superintendent, stopped in for a visit. They showed their art paintings, ability to write the letter “Aa”, behavior program, and more. I am proud that we have been able to establish a routine - the boys know what do to and they know what I expect from them.

It was beautiful to watch my students explore with linking blocks. They started by watching one another and copying designs, but quickly began to construct their own creations. The pride on their faces, as they showed me what they had made, was so strong. They have had so few opportunities – in education or recreation. I love the confidence that comes from success in the classroom. I’m looking forward to allowing a lot of discovery and exploration, in the hopes that it will promote development and confidence.

These are beautiful children ... ... ... with a lot of baggage. But, days like today are wonderfully encouraging!

1 comment:

The Cochrans said...

So good to hear your voice tonight! What a blessing to see God's hand already at work after such a short time! May He continue to multiply your efforts. Love you!