July 26, 2007

Guest Blogger: Sam

I'm borrowing this idea of "guest blogger" from Scott. This entry is written by a dear friend, Sam. We taught together last year and she is here for the first time with the team from Winona. There are also 2 other teachers from IMMS here, Becky (3rd trip) and Angie (1st trip). It's been great fun to spend time with them and it means so much that they would give up a week of their summer to learn about Sunbeam. Living here, there are so many things that I don't "see" anymore. I hope you enjoy "seeing" Sunbeam through the eyes of others.

July 24, 2007

We are on our third day here at Sunbeam. Today we finished scraping paint in Michelle’s classroom. While I think I will be just fine if I do not see another paint scraper for a long while, I had so much fun in the classroom with my mission mates. We told stories together, tried to figure out brainteasers and riddles together and laughed together. We bonded! All of us are here, together, to make some difference in this world—however small it may be—and do God’s work.

Yesterday we attended a celebration ceremony for Michelle’s students, and they shared what they had learned over the past year. Listening and watching, my heart swelled with joy and pride for these boys I barely knew who had worked so hard and grown so much. Michelle told us last night that one of her students was thankful for the opportunity to learn. That really struck me because so many of my students do not see learning as an opportunity, but as an obligation. It’s something they have to do…and I wonder how I can get across to them how blessed they are—that not everyone has the same opportunities they have. It reminds me to count my own blessings and to think about all I take for granted without even realizing it sometimes. An education is something no one can take away from you once you have it and it opens all kinds of doors. Doors are opening for these boys.

Spending time with the boys has been special. At night after devotions some read, some play games while others draw. Last night I played Sorry with some of the boys. They love playing games! It’s fun to watch them so focused on the game.

I see hope here. I saw it yesterday in the faces of Michelle’s students as they showcased their learning. I saw it in the faces of my group members as they stood proudly in the doorway admiring all of our paint scraping. I see it in Michelle, driving her in her work every day. I see it in my self…hope that these boys—all of them—rise above the adversities facing them and strive for the best they can be.

In closing, I have to say two things. First, I never thought I would look forward to a cold shower…but I do. Every night I am thankful for that cold, clean water running down my back. Secondly and most importantly, I have never seen smiles as beautiful as the smiles I see on the faces of these boys in despite of all they have endured. The smiles…the best part of being here at Sunbeam this week.
~ Sam

No comments: