Home
It’s been a blur of cookies, cleaning, lights, and presents for me the past week. And I’ve loved it! Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. It’s hard to believe how fast the time has already gone.
I want to share with you some of the process that transition is, but it’s difficult to put into words. The basic differences begin with things like hot water, carpet, glass windows, familiar food, and no bugs. The more difficult differences are things like the quiet, not being forever leaned on, hugged, and touched, the excesses of our culture, the safety and security I feel in being home, and more. When I’m home, Sunbeam feels like it’s a lifetime away. I love being home with my family, but miss the boys and the role that I fill when I’m there. And I know I will feel the absence of my family even more when I'm back and living alone. I enjoy the freedom of being able to hop into my car and run to the store. In Jamaica, it's a much more complicated process for me. In the same breath, I feel guilty that I have the ability to easily buy things.
In many ways, it's easier for me to avoid processing the transition because there are so many paradoxes that have no easy answers. But through this process, I hope to grow.
Here are some pictures that I took before I came home. You can see more by clicking on my flickr link.
Owen, Richard, and Warren at Windalco's Christmas dinner for us.
Andre, Kevin and Neil
Israel introducing himself to everyone.
Owen and his gift from Windalco.
Sandjay and Timothy
No comments:
Post a Comment